Stratford police along with several departments across western and central Connecticut that responded to the Sandy Hook School shooting last year are getting a bit of a financial reprieve from the federal government.
Attorney General Eric Holder announced Wednesday the U.S. Justice Department's Bureau of Justice Assistance will provide $2.5 million in funding to the Connecticut State Police, the Newtown Police Department and a number of partner agencies including Stratford that assisted following the Dec. 14 shooting that killed 20 children and six educators, including Stratford native Victoria Soto.
The funding compensates the agencies and jurisdictions for costs related to overtime, forensics and security during and in the aftermath of the crime, the Justice Department said in a news release.
“Providing support to the law enforcement agencies that responded to the horrific scene that awaited them at Sandy Hook Elementary School is one small action we can take to bring healing to a community that’s been devastated,” Holder said in the news release.
“Just over eight months after this senseless tragedy, those who lost their lives, and those who continue to grieve, remain in our thoughts and prayers.”
Here's how the funding — being provided by the 2013 Edward Byrne Justice Assistance Grant Program — breaks down:
- Connecticut State Police: $663,444
- Town of Newtown: $602,293
- Town of Monroe: $882,812
- Partner Agencies (list below): $296,836
Acting U.S. Attorney Deirdre M. Daley said the funding will compensate the state police, Newtown police and these other departments for their "tireless work investigating this crime."
"And, for months, helped to provide security and comfort to a courageous community,” Daley said.
For more information on the grant funding, click here: www.ojp.gov.