The following is a recent post left on the Stratford Fire Department's Facebook wall.
With the forecasted major weather event we would like to pass on a few reminders to everyone.
--If you need to utilize generators please make sure they are in a well-ventilated area. Do not fuel or run generators inside your home or any other occupied building.
--If there is a hydrant(s) near your home please try to keep it clear of snow. Our members will be shoveling out hydrants, as time between emergencies permits. With the number of hydrants in Stratford, any assistance you can provide, in completing this task, may help save someone's life.
--Make sure that your smoke detectors and Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarms are in proper working order.
--Make sure outside vents, for clothes dryers and wood stoves, remain free and clear of any obstruction. Failure to do so can result in a build up of Carbon Monoxide (CO) in your home. CO is odorless and colorless and should CO levels in your home rise, only a CO detector will provide you notice of the presence of CO.
--Should there be a power outage, please refrain from using candles.
--Do not attempt to move or come in contact with any downed power lines. Always assume any downed wire is live and dangerous.
--Never hesitate to call 911 for emergencies, just because we are experiencing a storm.