The following message was shared Monday on the Facebook page of the Stratford Fire Department’s union, IAFF Local 998. Minor edits have been made.
Sunday night firefighters responded to a home on Huntington Road for a reported tree limb down on a wire.
Engine 2, the first arriving unit, found the electrical service torn form the house with active fire in the wall of the house.
The home had aluminum siding and firefighters had to wait for the arrival of United Illuminating (UI) before they could completely extinguish the fire.
This was due to the possibility of the aluminum siding being charged with electricity.
Once the electrical service was disconnected by UI, firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire with minimal damage to the home.
Never hesitate to call 911 for downed wires and never attempt to touch or move any downed wire.
Downed wires should always be treated as "live" wires and can result in serious emergencies.