The Milford Police Department is currently investigating several complaints regarding thefts from lockers and vehicles at local fitness gyms in Milford.
And it's not just Milford, fitness clubs all along the shoreline are warning their members of the uptick in thefts.
Items Stolen from Cars, Lockers
During the months of October 2013 through January 2014, the department has received reports of items from lockers and cars including:
- cell phones
- credit cards
Tips to Keep Valuable Safe
Police have passed along some tips to help safeguard personal property:
- Limit the amount of property you bring with you. Especially credit cards, cash and personal identifying information.
- Have a list of credit cards with contact numbers to cancel cards available to you if a theft does occur. Timely reporting is critical.
- Secure your locker with a durable lock and consider additional locking methods such as placing a lock on your gym bag or a cable lock securing your gym bag to the clothes hanging rod inside the locker.
- Consider keeping a pouch with you containing personal items while working out.
- Consider securing items in your trunk prior to arriving at the gym. Thieves will watch customers’ activities in parking lots for opportunities.
- Keep your car key with you while working out. A thief can use your car alarm to find your vehicle and then enter it.
- Notify employees and police of any suspicious activities in the parking lots and locker rooms.
Police are continuing with these investigations and are working with other law enforcement agencies regarding similar incidents.