'Aggressive Attack' Averts Possible Disastrous Fire

Stratford's finest put out garage fire Friday before flammable materials can cause further destruction.

An "aggressive attack" by Stratford firefighters averted what could have been a disastrous fire at a Goodwin Street home Friday.

That's according to Stratford Deputy Fire Chief Jon Gottfried, who said after the fire was contained to the garage and extinguished, firefighters found eight nitrous oxide compressed gas cylinders.

"The cylinders, some damaged due to flame impingement, could have caused significant injury to firefighters advancing hose lines," Gottfried said in a press release.

Gottfried said the fire at 65 Goodwin St. was called in at about 11:35 a.m. Friday. First responders arriving four minutes later reported heavy smoke and fire issuing from the garage, which is part of the main house.

The house was occupied at the time of the fire, but all occupants were evacuated and no civilians were injured, Gottfried said.

Two firefighters, however, were sent to Bridgeport Hospital due to over-exertion. They were treated and released, the deputy chief said. A total of 20 fire personnel responded to the fire, he said.

There was minimal smoke damage to the living areas of the house, but heavy flame and smoke damage to the garage.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »