With today marking the official start of the summer, boy does the weather sure feel like it. With temperatures in the high 90s expected for the next few days, I've come up with a few ideas to keep cool in the summer and as always with saving money in mind.
There's nothing wrong with having fun in the sun, but sometimes too much sun on such a hot day can be dangerous. So here are some tips for staying cool during these heat waves.
1. First and most importantly: Stay hydrated. The great thing about water is, it's free. Always carry some with you. You can use a water bottle you have in the house or even buy one for little cost at Target to save cost that adds up from bottled water.
2. Go to the movies. Splurging at the movies once in a while can be fun and also keep you cool on a hot summer day or night. Take a break from the heat and go into a nice air-conditioned theatre and keep up with all the summer releases.
3. Walk around the mall. The mall is a great place to go just to cool off. You can save money by window-shopping and even get some exercise in.
4. Go out for ice cream. Local places like Dairy Queen or Zac’s Frozen Yogurt can cool you down with tasty treats for low cost, and can be a fun time for you and your family and friends.
5. Dive in: If you're lucky enough to have a pool, or a friend does, take advantage. If not try a community pool like the YMCA.
6 Go to the library. Air-conditioned, and endless amounts of free books for all your summer reading pleasures.
7. Hit the beach. Even if you aren't there for a tan, being by the beach offers relief from the heat. Go for a walk, play a game of Frisbee or simply relax with the cool ocean breeze.
8. Take advantage of the shade. If you are working out or even just lounging out in the sun, find a shady spot to do it in or to take a break in.
Whatever you do take care of your health first, and stay cool.